Since pumpkins aren't yet in full swing for pumpkin spice lattes, I've started treating myself to my second favorite coffee concoction: the Peppermint Mocha.
I bought a Grande Soy Pumpkin Spice Latte the other day at Starbucks and it cost me a whopping $5.12!!! Say what? That's ridiculous. I like to save money by making my own drinks at home. They are super easy, too. Here's my Peppermint Mocha recipe:
1. In a mug, heat 1/2 cup milk (or milk alternative of your choice) in the microwave. If you have a frother (you can find these here on Amazon for decently cheap), froth your milk a bit (frothing makes a huge difference in my opinion!)
2. Using an espresso machine (or a french press if you don't have an espresso maker), make yourself 1/2 cup strong coffee. Pour it over the milk (if you don't mind dirtying 2 mugs, I suggest actually pouring the milk over the coffee).
3. Add 2 TBL peppermint syrup (save money and make your own simple syrup!). Mix it in with the coffee mixture.
4. Add 1-2 TBL hot cocoa powder. If you don't have some ready-made cocoa packets, you can also mix 1 TBS sugar or sweetener with 1 TBS cocoa to achieve a similar taste.
5. Mix well.
6. Top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup drizzled on top.
By making your own coffee (and syrup, too), this is a very inexpensive yet tasty treat to make at home. Save yourself the $5 price-tag and custom-make your own drink at home!